The Comprehensive Guide to Open Source for Business
Open source is quickly becoming a business imperative, whether that means its use, development, or both. Any business that leads their industry over the coming decades will most likely do it through open source. This comprehensive guide takes a look at what is required for a business to successfully collaborate with open source communities and leverage open source technology to advance the company.
If you are new here, you might want to take a look at our announcement for this guide.
Please Note: This guide is a work in progress. Links will be added to this page as the articles are published.
Definitions of terms found in this guide can be found here.
A Definition of the Open Source Development Model
- Common Characteristics of an Open Source Community
- An Introduction to the Open Source Development Model
- Common Tools Used in Open Source Development
Why Open Source?
- The Value of Open Source
- The Business Reasons for Open Source
Open Source Legal and Compliance
- The Essentials of Open Source Licensing
- How to Choose a License
- How to Ensure Open Source Software is Legally Compatible
How to Incorporate Open Source Best Practices into a Business
- General Open Source Best Practices
- How to Facilitate Collaboration with an Open Source Community
- How to Build Code for Upstream
The Open Sourcing Process
- General Guidelines for Launching an Open Source Project
- How to Prepare a Company to Support Open Source
- How to Launch an Open Source Project